Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Watchmaking V : other training restorations

After the happy USSR Raketa story, I did the same exercice on two other watches : a simple Swiss watch with central second hand (the hand set is a bit corroded) and fitted with a nice Alfred Schild (Grunchen, Switzerland) AS 1187/94. A good quality caliber mounted in generic watches widely diffused in the early 60's I guess. Here it is in its initial condition :



I did also a same type of genric watch of the French production found at the flea market : a Relliac is fitted with a French Cupillard (Villers-le-Lac, Haut-Doubt, France) 233 calibre and a Erosa with an "Horlogerie de Savoie" HS P62 caliber for which I have in my stock a box of parts!



Here they after the restoration :



The Relliac kept very good time (+4-5 s / day) for about 6 weeks, but stopped yesterday in certain positions. I should have a closer look to it...

I have still a 3 others French watches of the same period (50's early 60's) as projects. The other have broken balance wheel pivots and will more difficult to fix

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My next step was however, to service an automatic watches with dato, thought a bit more difficult. The final stap will be to service a chronograph. My beloved Russian Strela needs new oils... I am not satisfied of the balance amplitude that is too narrow and the train wheel looks a bit sticky. It's strange because a "VI-05" in engraved in the interior of the case back that would indicate a possible service in June 2005. My mistake was likely to teach at my University with that watch on my wrist during my autumn courses (I still use the old-fashionned way with the dusty blackboard...). The historical cosmonaut chrono has no protection at all, I suspect some dust penetrated and mixed to the oil...

No comments: