Sunday, March 05, 2006

My start in watchmaking


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
(picture composed from http://flagrantdisregard.com/flickr/motivator.php)

Starting in watchmaking is for me
as motivating as to construct my own Linux computer. Once you succeeded to assemble and disassemble the system, it looks much more familiar ou attractive!

There are likely several ways to start, from having individual watchmaking courses to learn by your own with the help of notebooks and/or internet documentations. The most practical for me was the free lessons of the horlogerie-suisse web site
. I found there the basic set of tools necessary to start properly. These tools are very simple and available for less than 150 Euros. I bought them from my local watch furniture store in Lyon which a very nice shop, principally for professional but providing a lot of amateurs too.

The most important element are likely the set of screw drivers. To be successfull, do not hesitate to spend 35-40 euros in good quality set. The best quality after the expensive Swiss brands are a French fabrication like the following :

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



No comments: