Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A "Watch Station"

When I collected some vintage calculators past year 2005 (electronic and some slide rules), I had soon a problem to store them safely while could use them easily without unboxing a lots of storage boxes.

At that time I found a small window that is perfect for this use and I am still very happy with this system.



With my watches, I have a double problem : a place for watchmaking and something to store them in an handy way.

A watchmaker bench is something very beautiful an desirable. The working height is about 95 cm while a regular table is about 75 cm. Working higher avoid to arc the back uncomfortably. These benches are traditionnaly not very wide. Watchmaking wrist watches does not require more than 0.80 to 1 m. Finding a vintage one a reasonable price will require sometime for sure. They are very rare and expensive if any. I could find a manufacturer in Gerarmer, France. They sell by their own and directly beautiful models for about 700 Euros. Abit too much for me, and I would prefer something more "styled" or "vintage"...

I temporally adopted a small desk, unfortunately just a bit higher than usual (80 cm) with five drawers and an expendable top.



I installed it, on free wall pan of my living room, just where I had already the seat. I had in reserve a fluo lamp that gives a pretty nice light, a critical element in watchmaking. The storage of my watches is only partially solved with the two collectives boxes that found their place on the desk shelf. I used these two boxes for my vintage watches, but what is about the new one and their original nice boxes?

Two weeks ago, I spotted a very beautiful possible additional element at the flea market: A fantastic small cupboard with windowed doors and so nice "diamonded" wood motif on both sides. The same wood tones as the desk. The depth was also remarquable and there is an additional drawer at the bottom. At the flea-market, you should decide quickly. The time necesseray to have a look around and make up my mind, I returned to the very kind and friendly sellers. We discussed a bit and we agreed for 50% of the indicated price was indeed very high (330 Euros...) but the cupboard was already entirely restored. More more works to do on it then.

On a sunday afternoon, the beauty is fixed on the wall, 30 cm above the desk. Humm... I feel very inspired, dreaming about traditionnal home watchmaking, lost in the contry side of the "Haut-Doubs" somewhere above Pontarlier or the Valley of Joux in Switzerland!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
My new "watch station". The green watchmaking mat is specially concieved for comfortable working without tiring the eyes. On it: my beloved Melissa chronograph fitted with a Swiss Valjoux 7734 movement, 17 jewels and date. Offered to me in the spring 1969 and recently fully restored by a local watchmaker after 25 year deeply asleep in the botton of a forgotten drawer. On the wall at the left, a shuttle used for silk braiding (my appartement is a former silk braiding workshop...), manufactured in Lyon in the century 19 to mid 20.

So nice! I can have everything under the hand, tools, my watches, parts. What a pleasure!




With that Lip old pocket watch (manufactured in Besançon, France) suspended in the middle of the desk, that all the French horology that comes to me!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: