Sunday, May 08, 2005

Starting post: Starting Ideas under LINUX

This my initial post on this new blog that I start a bit to see how it works. Really don't known if I will pursue for a long time. A bit more than two years ago, I became interested in the managment of personnal computers under LINUX. I sucessfully constructed from scratch (components!) a new desktop PC in Feb 2004 with the idea to use it fully "Microsoftless". I tested several distributions of LINUX and I finally stayed with a version 10.0 of MandrakeLinux/kernel 2.6.3-7/KDE 3.2.

PC case CoolerMaster WaveMaster silver, crystal blue left pannel, 2 Cold Cathode 30 cm et 10 cm, 2 white LEDs Sunbeam Lazer, rheobus Enermax Fanbus A8FATR4, CPU Pentium 4C 3.0 GHz (Northwood) FSB800 Hyper Threading, MB Asus P4C800 DeLuxe, 1GB Dual DDR Corsair TwinX 3200C2Pro, GPU Radeon 9600 XT/TV/128DDR, 2 disks AsusMaxtor 120GB plus 1 Samsung 40GB in a removable rack Enermax plugged as P-ATA100,1 system WD 36,7 GB en S-ATA, multi-format DVD LG, cartes CF/SD/MS/SM, 6 USB2, floppy Sony, power sup. Antec TruePower 380W, Ethernet GB on ADSL US Robotics 9105 gateway, Mandrakelinux 10 PowerPack, kernel 2.6.3-7mdkenterprise smp patched ATI, video LCD SONY HX73 17' , HPDeskjet 920c, Zip100, Agfascan 1212u, Minolta Dimage 7i.

I turned around for the internal deco before finally adopting this one :

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Shinkaze LINUX deco in November 2004

I named this desktop PC "shinkaze" in reference to the Japanese God of the Wind (kami kaze) since I previously named my laptop "kaze". I mainly the system for storage and processing of my photographs that I usually take as 1600x1200 resolution and jpeg compression. I found no limitations in the use of this computer and I use it in the config indicated with no changes or update for more that 6 months. There is not a single partition for any Microsoft OS.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
My preferred KDE desktop at the moment


To keep tracks of this experience, I maintained a detailed notebook under my preferred word processor LyX-TeX . Today this notebook is more tha 210 pages and 250 figures...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Scheme of the complete system including the incredible Linux PDA Zaurus Sharp SL-C760 connecting by WiFi

While exploring the amazing possibilities of computers, a rainy sunday, I became interrested in their history. When surfing on museum sites related to computers, I felt on a description of the flight computer embarqued in the Apollo missions, both in the command spacecraft and the LM in 70's. It recalled me this time where the daily calculations where essentially based on slide rules and logarithmic tables...

It was the starting point a new interest, a hoby, for small vintage device for computing, early electronic hand held calculators, even mechanical watches. One of the fascinating feature, common by all these objects is they are "personal". There owners paid likely some attention to them, carefully or cautionless maintained them. They were sometime forgotten on the shelf. If any, their NiCd batteries died slowly (sometine corroded the circuities around). 30 years later, they can found on the world fly market, not always for nothing!

I will post later specific descriptions of some interesting objects of that kind.

Marc

No comments: